Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chollas Lake Park Run

Yesterday afternoon I had a 20 minute run.  I didn't make it out until a little after one so it was pretty hot out, I would say just shy of 90 degrees.  It was obvious I had to find a well shaded location to run.  My neighborhood is a little hit and miss when it comes to shade, and I really needed to have a change of scenery any how.

I found a nice little park called Chollas Lake Park, in the College Grove area.  About a 10 minute drive from my house.  I was pleasantly surprised.  There were families all around the park, just hanging out playing and having picnics.  The trail around the lake has Eucalyptus trees making an almost entirely shaded trail.  It does have a small section that is completely exposed to the sun but it's pretty small, it makes me run faster to get back into the cool shade. There were a few little hills to add a challenge every now and then and it was a dirt path so I'm guessing it was a little easier on my knees.

Since I was a doofus and forgot my iPod on the charger at home, I didn't really have a way of watching my time... I was pretty irritated with myself for forgetting it.  So my first time around the lake I didn't think too much about it, the second time I found a nice little sign that had a post about the milage around the lake.  The lake loop is .8 miles so two laps was 1.6.  I thought since my last 20 minute run got me to 1.3 miles, it was fair to say 1.6 miles took me about 20 minutes now.

The nice thing about this lake is that it had a great playground.  I thought it would be the perfect place for Scott and I to take turns running.  One can stay with Lincoln at the play ground while the other runs.  It would be a great place for Sunday runs.

Chollas Lake Park was a fantastic find.  I'm looking forward to sharing it with Scott, and probably getting lapped several times by him.

I might try to take pictures on my next run at the park and share with you all.  Maybe I'll just bring Lincoln with me and let him run too.  We'll see how he does.  He is running a 100 meter dash in October so he needs some training too.  Lol.

Happy running everyone!      


1 comment:

  1. I think you're wise to follow your instincts! Make your workout schedule work for YOUR schedule. :)

    ReplyDelete